Image Map
Image Map

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Classroom Reveal

I'm linking up with Blog Hoppin' for their Classroom Reveal linky party! I have been waiting all week to see everyone's post on this. I love decorating a classroom :)

Blog Hoppin




Welcome to C-3, my home away from home for the last 6 years. It has seen many changes as I have tried to find what arrangement worked for me. It isn't a typical Kindergarten room, which are usually large, it's just a square. It also has no bathroom, but it's my room and I love it. Especially this year! I am in love with the color scheme on the walls. I think it calms me. I think it calms my students too! So here is a tour of my room, taken as if you stood in the center and took pictures all the way around...which is EXACTLY what I did! Ha!

Under Meet My Class I put my monthly name portrait assessments. I hang them one on top of the other as each month passes. That way I, and others, can flip through them easily and see the progression. The best is the progression from the first month to the last month. Oh my word, amazing!


Here is the South wall. I keep my math tubs, math manipulatives, student consumables (for math) and the math curriculum here. Generally I hang math student work on the wall up above the shelf there, but not always. I don't put titles on my wall so that I can pin things up and change them out really easy. I keep everything that hangs on the wall for either portfolios or memory books.

Moving counter-clockwise..

My ever changing language arts focus wall. It changes with what I am teaching which for the beginning of the year was PBS skills. Our phonics/phonemic skills are always under the rainbow. My heart poster, I totally copied from The First Grade Parade. It's pretty much verbatim, but it's genius and it works! I've used it for a couple years now and my kids go up to it all the time for ideas for writing.
There is also an easel and a white board next to this wall. I teach from both sides of my carpet. I just tell the kids to turn there bodies this way and that. If they ever have to sit longer than I'd like them to (or they'd like to for that matter) sometimes I just get up and switch sides to changes things up.

When I am on this side of the carpet, I am generally reading a story. Our morning meeting and read alouds usually take place when I am in the rocking chair. And actually, I only sit in it when I read a story. I walk a lot when I teach. Most teachers I know are the same way. I am hoping for a Fit Bit from the hubby for my birthday in 3 days (hint, hint), so I can track just how many miles I do around that room!


The green table in the front is the Center #1: The alphabet center. During center time, 2 students each round visit the alphabet centers. This is where my students work on their interactive alphabet notebook.
This is my teacher desk. It also serves as a table for my ELMO and projector. Mostly it's a mess by the end of the day. I clean it every single day but no matter how hard I try, it's like Kindergarteners danced on it by the end of the day. Pointers?
The balloons on the front of the desk serve more of a purpose for the students than me. It has student names on it with a magnet on the back. It helps the students learn name recognition right away, not only for themselves but all of the other students as well.


Here are the cubbies on the left. On the white board is my centers chart (I'll post about that soon), and table captain chart.  Center #2 is the hanging pocket chart on the right where the students work on phonics skills.
 
 

There is my intervention table. I hot glued cloth to the underside and hid my class Christmas tree and boxes of holiday decorations under it. This wall is all windows, which mostly parents peek through. I hate the thought of closing the blinds because I love natural light. So this is my compromise. I copied the window idea last school year from School Girl Style. Then at the end of the year, when I had to take them down, I laminated them. Perfect of easy removal and to reapply. They were so much work to make at first. I also hung pennant banners up...I think I made them 3 years ago, just with random colors and they still look so good! The paper must have been fadeless (I don't remember). They've also been taken down and put back up each school year.




 Here is more of the window wall. There are the kids book boxes along the top shelf. They contain all the different kinds of notebooks we use: Interactive alphabet notebook, sight words book, alphafriends book, Ready Common Core book, Number book, and Daily Fix-It book. There are also name, number and alphabet traces in there that I slipped in sheet protectors, as well as a white board marker. Early finishers use these items.  

There is also my Chicka Chicka Boom Boom tree I created about 3 years ago. My school had an increase in class size which resulted in me getting a larger carpet. When I unrolled it, it had a very large, very thick cardboard roll inside. Dream come true!! I turned it into a tree using a green umbrella at the top and an old umbrella stand to make it stand. When we do our CCBB unit, I hang the letters the kids create with their families up the tree to be like a real CCBB tree! (In fact, it's decorated now, but I'll show you in a later post)

My (ugly) fridge and microwave are here too. I don't know what I was thinking when I Mod Podged those papers on to the fridge. I need to change that ASAP.




 My writing center. I teach with Lucy Calkins Units of Study for writing, (got the oppurtunity to go to New York and train in this program 2 years ago. So awesome!) so later this area will have more as we learn. Above the writing center, but facing outside is the parent information area. My parents wait outside this door at dismissal, so I give them plenty of reading material ;)

 My Giving Tree. I got this idea from my daughters Kindergarten teacher. Whenever our class needs something, my very generous parents just take an apple and bring me the item within a couple days. I hang it on the door so they see it at dismissal and drop off.


  My Giving Tree. I got this idea from my daughters Kindergarten teacher. Whenever our class needs something, my very generous parents just take an apple and bring me the item within a couple days. I hang it on the door so they see it at dismissal and drop off.



  The yellow circles are pizzas for AR (Accelerated Reader), it also serves as a visual for the parents to see how well their child is doing in AR. Each child gets a "pepperoni" (red dot sticker) for every point they earn. If at the end of the year, any student has 30 pepperonis, then they get to have a pizza party lunch with the teacher. This includes pizza, capri suns, and Kidz Bop on the Pandora...and maybe some dancing ;)




Student desks as they looked on the first day of school. Name tags for shirts (with a Minion sticker to make it fun), and name tags for desks.  I have tried many ways to deal with name tags and keeping them semi nice and last year I finally found a solution. Albeit, a solution that is pricier than I would like, but since it works, I figure it is worth the price. Last year, they looked pretty good by spring break. I had to remove them about a month before the year ended because they started looking thrashed, but by then, they weren't needed.

This is the desk were my intern sits. All K/1 classes get a college student to work in their rooms to help with students. Mine is fantastic (and so was last years!!) She sits here and does assessments, AR tests, small groups, art projects, catches up absent students, and paints hands every month for the memory book :) She is my right AND left hand!
Behind her is my TE shelf. It has a whole lot of dust on it because I RARELY open those books. I feel like I am a pretty good teacher who knows her standards well, and does not need to read from scripted curriculum. So that is where they sit... looking all cluttery. ha! To the right of the clutter is my listening center, it hadn't been set up yet, but y'all, it's nothing to see. I have ONE, count them, ONE tape CASSETTE player. Yes, cassettes. It is the saddest, most dilapidated player you ever did see too. I also put my ipad there to even out the dilapitated-ness.  The good news is I set up a DonorsChoose account to *hopefully* get a new center. Fingers crossed

This is the desk were my intern sits. All K/1 classes get a college student to work in their rooms to help with students. Mine is fantastic (and so was last years!!) She sits here and does assessments, AR tests, small groups, art projects, catches up absent students, and paints hands every month for the memory book :) She is my right AND left hand!
Behind her is my TE shelf. It has a whole lot of dust on it because I RARELY open those books. I feel like I am a pretty good teacher who knows her standards well, and does not need to read from scripted curriculum. So that is where they sit... looking all cluttery. ha! To the right of the clutter is my listening center, it hadn't been set up yet, but y'all, it's nothing to see. I have ONE, count them, ONE tape CASSETTE player. Yes, cassettes. It is the saddest, most dilapidated player you ever did see too. I also put my ipad there to even out the dilapitated-ness.  The good news is I set up a DonorsChoose account to *hopefully* get a new center. Fingers crossed

Yay! If you are still with me, you made it all the way around my classroom! All of these pictures were taken right before the kids entered on the first day and it doesn't look too different except for having tons of student work up on the walls. I hope you enjoyed it and maybe got a few ideas!

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment