Image Map
Image Map

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Hiatis Schmiatis! And Some Ice Cream...

So, for years and years (obviously), I have entertained the thought of posting to this blog but never ever actually do it. *sigh* The busy life of a mom and teacher. So to say "I'm sorry" to all my 2 readers out there for such a long time gone, I thought I'd share something. I love sharing...perhaps that is why I teach Kindergarten, no?
Thursday was our last day of Kindergarten, but we boy did we have fun celebrating the end the last 2 weeks. One of the activities we had was Ice Cream Day. It was a complete surprise to the kids. We went about our normal morning buisness but after lunch...the party got started.  I started off the afternoon reading Should I Share My Ice Cream? by Mo Willems. My kiddos get an absolute kick out of Gerald & Piggies adventures, don't yours?!


should I share my ice cream

Next we talked about our favorite ice cream flavors. I didn't get a picture of this but chocolate was definitly the most popular choice. What's your favorite? Mine is a toss up between cookie dough or mint n chip. I will be your best friend if you supply me with either!

After I led into a discussion  about weird ice cream flavors. I read them this poem:


I am Ebenezer Bleezer,
I run BLEEZER'S ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer
you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations
too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor,
try the flavors on my list:

COCOA MOCHA MACARONI
TAPIOCA SMOKED BALONEY
CHECKERBERRY CHEDDAR CHEW
CHICKEN CHERRY HONEYDEW
TUTTI-FRUTTI STEWED TOMATO
TUNA TACO BAKED POTATO
LOBSTER LITCHI LIMA BEAN
MOZZARELLA MANGOSTEEN
ALMOND HAM MERINGUE SALAMI
YAM ANCHOVY PRUNE PASTRAMI
SASSAFRAS SOUVLAKI HASH
SUKIYAKI SUCCOTASH
BUTTER BRICKLE PEPPER PICKLE
POMEGRANATE PUMPERNICKEL
PEACH PIMENTO PIZZA PLUM
PEANUT PUMPKIN BUBBLEGUM
BROCCOLI BANANA BLUSTER
CHOCOLATE CHOP SUEY CLUSTER
AVOCADO BRUSSELS SPROUT
PERIWINKLE SAUERKRAUT
COTTON CANDY CARROT CUSTARD
CAULIFLOWER COLA MUSTARD
ONION DUMPLING DOUBLE DIP
TURNIP TRUFFLE TRIPLE FLIP
GARLIC GUMBO GRAVY GUAVA
LENTIL LEMON LIVER LAVA
ORANGE OLIVE BAGEL BEET
WATERMELON WAFFLE WHEAT

I am Ebenezer Bleezer,
I run BLEEZER'S ICE CREAM STORE,
taste a flavor from my freezer,
you will surely ask for more.




 They loved it! I had to read it 3 times! After they got over the giggles of these silly flavors, we talked about designing our own flavors. That is where this little freebie comes into play (click on picture): 
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Ice-Cream-1873969
Don't for get to rate this since it is my first listing! I need ratings :)


The kids came up with their own flavors. Some were normal sounding, some were gross and some were wild. It was a hoot to see what they came up with!

"No taste and chocolate"

"Sushi chocolate hot sauce"

"It tastes like crushed bananas"
I just love inventive spelling, don't you? I have become fluent in it since I started teaching Kindergarten. It really is another language! Ha!

I let the children share on the document camera if they wanted. After all of the sharing (and laughter), I gave the students a piece of lined paper and told them they were going to try to convince me to try their flavors. I didn't get pictures but boy were they ever persuasive! I just might try "Sushi Chocolate Hot Sauce" one of these days, hehehe!

I used these persuasive essays as their "ticket to recess" and then they came back there was a mini ice cream party waiting for them! oh my gosh were they excited! We had cookies and cream flavor, with chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, sprinkles, nuts and cherries. And guess what? I didn't even get any :( I was a little to happy with the ice cream scoop I guess. Oh well, my thighs thanked me!

I am working on a little ice cream packet to go with this day to add to my little store I just started. What do you do for ice cream day, if you have one? Do you have any other themed days for the end of the school year?

No comments:

Post a Comment