Image Map
Image Map

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Ice Cream Please!

This unit is my first ever and it took the longest to create. Simply because I had a mish mash of ideas that I put together at the end of the year rotating around the theme of ice cream. Everybody loves ice cream, right?! I know I do and I doubly know my kids do. So when I told them they had done so well gathering all the knowledge they needed to take to first grade and beyond that we could make all our learning be about ice cream, they about fell out. And then they were like Bring.It.On. So this little unit was born. I tried to incorporate subjects we had learned in the year that had been a bit of a struggle to get at the time and just far enough away to need a refresher. I wrote a little bit on this unit here. You'll want to check that out too as there is a freebie in that post from this unit (woo hoo!)




Predictable Text 

Something I knew the kids could work on their own. Super easy to put together too. I just duplicated the second page a few times and then stapled together. The idea was that the students write a flavor in the blank as they read and color the ice cream scoop to match. These could be real or made up flavors, I left it up to them.





Describing Words

This was my kids favorite part...being creative and making up flavors. I used several graphic organizers to use to draw out those describing words.

I also included 2 more bubble maps that looks just like these but the directions say:
-Use adjectives to describe your favorite flavor ice cream
-Use adjectives to describe your ice cream you designed



Cinquain Poem

I included first a brainstorming sheet then a frame for creating a simple and basic cinquain poem. I also included a little craftivity to create an easy ice cream guy. I hang up the craft with these poems, they are very cute together on the wall. I wish I had a picture of that :(




Writing
I included several writing pages with primary and upper grade line style. I included these prompts:
-Convince me to try the ice cream you designed
-Convince me to let you have an ice cream party

Sight Words

My kids love solving mysteries, I bet yours do too. I included 3 mystery sight word pages like this.

Math
This is mainly geared for Math Centers. The students are in charge of putting together scoops  of ice cream that match the numeral on the cones. They have to find the number word, tally and ten frame. Then they record and color the scoops according directions at the bottom of the recording sheet.


I included another center just like this one but with numbers 11-19

If you like this unit, you can find it here on my little shop on Teachers Pay Teachers. Let me know how you like it and if there is anything I can add to it.

Looking forward to hearing from ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment